Funding Sources

North East Local Health Integration Network

NELHINThe North East Local Health Integration Network (North East LHIN) is one the largest of 14 LHINs in Ontario, responsible for planning, integrating and funding health care services for more than 565,000 people across an estimated 400,000 square kilometers.

Funding front-line health care work to ensure Northerners, get the right care, at the right time, in the right place, at the right cost.

Community Care Access Centre

There are 14 Community Care Access Centres (CCACs) across Ontario, all of which are funded by the Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) through the Ministry of Health and Long -Term Care. Through tax payer funding, CCAC services are covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

Private Pay – call 1 (877) 560-0202

You have the option to purchase homecare services privately. Purchasing private homecare allows you to avoid wait times and choose the level and type of care you or your loved one would like to receive. If you have exhausted your CCAC funding or if you would like to build upon the CCAC funded services you are currently receiving, you may also privately pay for services.

Veterans Affairs Canada

Veterans Affairs Canada provides financial support for healthcare services and benefits provided to eligible Canadian Veterans.

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) provides insurance benefits if you become injured or ill as a result of employment. In addition to other benefits you might be eligible to receive, the WSIB may cover the cost of certain healthcare products or services required as a result of injury or illness, including:

  • Prescription drugs
  • Medical devices and orthotics
  • Transportation costs associated with work-related injury or illness

A WSIB case manager and/or nurse consultant will work with you to determine how to claim the benefits listed above and how each service will be compensated (i.e. WSIB pays directly or you pay and WSIB reimburses you).

Extended Health Insurance Plans

If you have extended health insurance, check with your provider to determine your level of coverage.

Interim Federal Health Program

The Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP)covers limited healthcare costs for resettled refugees, refugee claimants, certain persons detained under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and other specified groups temporarily.

Assistive Devices Program

The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care offers the Assistive Devices Program (ADP)to financially assist people with long-term physical disabilities to get the necessary supplies and equipment they need in order to increase their independence. ADP only covers a portion of the costs associated with equipment or supplies.

ADP covers the following categories of equipment and/or supplies:

  • Communication devices
  • Diabetes equipment and supplies
  • Enteral feeding supplies
  • Hearing aids
  • Home oxygen
  • Insulin pumps and supplies
  • Orthotic devices
  • Ostomy supplies
  • Pressure modification devices
  • Prosthetic devices (breast, limb, ocular, maxillofacial)
  • Respiratory supplies and equipment
  • Visual aids
  • Wheelchairs, positioning and ambulation aids

If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), you may be eligible to receive these funds.

Ontario Disability Support Program

The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) aids individuals that meet the definition of “a person with a disability,” as defined under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act, requiring financial assistance for living expenses. ODSP is made up of two components: Income support and employment support. Both are managed and delivered by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

Special Services at Home

The Special Services at Home program is funded and managed by the Ministry of Community and Social Services. This program assists families caring for a child with a developmental or physical disability.

The amount of funding a family receives depends on:

  • The type and amount of service the child needs;
  • What other help is available in the community; and
  • What kind of support the family is already receiving.

Children’s Treatment Centres

Across Ontario there are 20 Children’s Treatment Centres. Each of these centres provides rehabilitation services to children and youth with physical, developmental or communicative disabilities.

Children with special needs may receive services from birth until 19 years of age. Programs and services offered depend on your local community needs.